Finding the right retirement community is important and we want to be a resource for you!
When you look for a senior living community, take the time to find one that offers a lifestyle that matches your expectations. Putting in the work during the search process will help ensure that you find a new home that meets your needs.
We recommend that you tour at least three different communities, ask lots of questions, and talk to residents about their experiences. It’s a big decision and it’s important to get all the information you need to make the right choice.
Take a peek at our checklist to ensure you're making the most of your community tour. Or read our top tips below:
- First Impression - Were you greeted promptly by front desk staff and offered assistance?
- Observe Team Members - Observe team member and resident interactions. Are the team members patient and kind? Were you greeted by residents?
- Observe Residents - Observe residents socializing and/or attending activities. Ask residents about their experiences.
- Review Planned Activities - Is an activity calendar readily available? Are the activities things you enjoy?
- Note the Condition of the Environment - Is the building clean and odor free?
- Note Safety Conditions - Are the hallways, doorways and common areas conducive for safe walking?
- Take the Time to Have a Meal - Is the service friendly and attentive? Are the dining hours and food choices flexible? Did the dining team meet your food handling expectations?
- Meet the General Manager and Key Staff - How many team members are scheduled? Check on evening availability and a system for obtaining assistance 24-hours a day.
- Ask About Training and Credentials - Is there a licensed nurse? How many hours per day or per week is the nurse in the building?
- Review State Survey - Is the most recent state survey available for review?
- Note your Final Impressions - Does the community feel like home?
For more information about Merrill Gardens communities in your area, click here.
To download our Touring Tips checklist, click here.